Skip to main content

"Herbal Remedies" - The Doctor

While the labyrinthian depths of the Shadow Market
were once his sole domain, he now sees the whole
of London as his laboratory...


Hey friends, welcome to another Friday on The Art of Caesura!

Newsflash folks: Next week marks the 100th post of The Art of Caesura, so be sure to come on back then for the 100-day festivities!

We're easing ourselves into a nice few weeks of minis from The World of Smog. This week's mini is an interesting one, he had a bust in the original game, but is a returning character with a full body sculpt (complete with mechanical monkey!) in the upcoming sequel! He's even been given a full name: where he was just "The Doctor" in the first game, he's now known as "Dr. Li Fong". Unfortunately (for us) this new model was part of an optional Add On that I didn't buy into, but at least I got a go at him in his original glory here! 


The World of Smog

"The Doctor was sent by the Order of the Dragon to search for the "changgsheng bu lao yao", the "elixir of youth". He came to study the promise of immortality sparked by the appearance in London of extraordinary and centuries-old species. He is an expert in extispicy, an ancient divinatory art that predicts the future by reading the bowels of a person. The London police took exception to this, however, and forced him to move his practice to the Shadow Market, where a permissive morality and the presence of many specimens made it much simpler."

The World of Smog: On Her Majesty's Service

The World of Smog

I tried a few new things with this model. Thing the first was his robes; I wanted them to look like silk. At the time I was actually listening to the (relatively new) ProPainted Podcast, and they were talking about a pearlescent medium that you mix into paint to give it a shiny (pearlescent) quality. When they were talking about it, it sounded like this was exactly what I was looking for but I ended up looking at a bunch of youtube videos, and wasn't really wowed by what I was seeing...

The World of Smog

...So I decided to just have a go myself. I mixed Warboss Green with a bit of Stormhost Silver, and must say I'm pretty happy with the result!

The World of Smog

I think it did create a nice silky quality to the fabric of his clothes. After the silky green, I gave his clothes a diluted (50:50 water) wash of Seraphim Sepia to bring them from a blue-green to a brown-green. I then highlighted his clothes with a mix containing a bit more Stormhost Silver than the original mix. 

The World of Smog

The next new thing I tried was his skin. I've been using the Scale 75 flesh paints for about a year or so, but this was the first time I'd attempted an Asian skin-tone.
The World of Smog

I'm quite comfortable using these paints for caucasian and mediterranean skin, but did not have much luck with the dark skin-tone I triedThese paints worked very well for the Doctor's Asian skin-tone, I just worked my way up through the Scale 75 flesh-tone set with one gentle wash of Seraphim Sepia after applying the basecoat. 

The World of Smog

I hope you enjoyed that look at The Doctor, have a great weekend and thanks again all for tuning in to The Art of Caesura!


Listening: The Daily Zeitgeist Podcast


Next Week: 

It's the 100th post of The Art of Caesura!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Full Stop - Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

The monstrous Deepwood has consumed the land.  No farms or fields remain. There is only corruption, rot and the endless shadow of the twisted trees. ~ Shadowborne Games Pot's Peace, Oathsworn. Welcome to The Art of Caesura! What's all this then, TWO posts in one day!? Well yes, you see timing is of the essence here. Today marks the 200th post of The Art of Caesura , so if you haven't had a chance to check out the celebratory post, please do so !  There is also a Kickstarter ongoing at the moment, that I am getting quite excited by, but it closes on Tuesday, so if I left it till next Friday to tell you about it...it would be too late! Hence, in a world first, two hits of The Art of Caesura in one day! Now onward, into the world of Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood ! Credit: Shadowborne Games Nota bene : I am not associated with Shadowborne Games, and am just writing this because it is something that I am genuinely excited about. None of the

"The Skinny" - Scale 75 Flesh Paint Set Review

The complexion of a light-skinned face  divides into three zones: The forehead has a light golden colour  because it's freer of muscles and surface capillaries. The ears, cheeks and nose all lie within the central zone of the face.  Those areas have more capillaries carrying oxygenated blood near the surface, causing the reddish colour... The zone from the nose to the chin (where there are relatively more veins carrying blue deoxygenated blood) tends toward a bluish, greenish or greyish colour. Some artists accentuated this subtle bluish or greenish hue to bring out the reddish lip colour. Color and Light (page 156) - James Gurney Welcome all to The Art of Caesura! So I finished all the models in Warhammer Quest Silver Tower!! Wooohooo!! Now for something a bit different!  This week I'm going to do something I've never done on the blog before: write a review!! I've been wanting to write my thoughts on  Scale 75 's Flesh Paint Set for ov

"From the City of Shadows" - Arkanaut Company (Painting - Part 1)

The City of Shadows has a dubious reputation  amongst the Overlords, often labelled pirates  or worse by other duardin of their rival sky-ports. Barak Mhornar - Games Workshop Welcome back to another Friday on The Art of Caesura! Let's pick it up from last week and dive right back in to the Arkanauts. Last time we saw them they were all grey and naked. No longer!! This is going to be part one of a two-parter on the painting of these guys before we look their bases and then at the finished Company in the following weeks. I was going to try to cram it all into one post, but wow there is a lot of detail on these guys, and we're in no hurry, so best to spread it out and give it all it's due.  Barak Zilfin Colour Scheme When the Kharadron Overlords first came out I was looking at all the colour schemes and thinking "man, Barak Zilfin all the way!  I mean look at all that copper!" But over the year, my tastes have...matured and I came to really